Local aquaculture and seafood initiatives are a collaboration between Barnstable County’s Marine Resources & Aquaculture Department and Buy Fresh Buy Local Cape Cod. The collaboration is established to coordinate various activities such as events and tours, and provide a cohesive vision to showcase Cape Cod seafood and to connect the public with local seafood species.
Safe Handling, Storing, and Cooking Practices
Shellfish contain high quality protein and other essential nutrients and are an important part of a healthful diet. As with any type of food, however, it is important to handle seafood safely in order to reduce the risk of foodborne illness. Follow these basic food safety tips for selecting and storing shellfish — and you and your family can safely enjoy the fine taste and good nutrition of local seafood.
Local Shellfish Recipes
Delight your taste buds with this collection of delicious, locally-sourced shellfish recipes created by the best chefs of Cape Cod!
Do You Offer Local Seafood and Ingredients at Your Eatery? Join Buy Fresh Buy Local!
If you serve local ingredients at your establishment you can join Buy Fresh Buy Local Cape Cod for FREE! As a Buy Fresh Buy Local Cape Cod Member or Supporter, you’ll be part of a growing local community that believes in supporting and encouraging cooperation among Cape Cod’s farms, working waters, businesses and citizens.
Here are just some of the benefits of membership:
- Listing on www.buyfreshbuylocalcapecod.org with a link back to your site
- Access to BFBL Cape Cod materials (bumper stickers, poster, point-of-purchase signs, etc.)
- Listing in printed BFBL Cape Cod Guide, 30,000 distributed to residents and visitors in 2018
- Opportunity to promote your products and/or events in monthly public email newsletter sent to 2,700+ recipients
- Opportunity to promote your products and/or events on our Facebook page, currently 1,700+ “Likes”
- Use of the BFBL Cape Cod logo (please contact us)
- Opportunity to participate in our Fall Harvest Celebration
- Opportunity to co-sponsor a custom Buy Fresh Buy Local event
- Department Home
- 4-H Youth Development
- Hazardous Waste & Water Quality
- Agriculture, Horticulture & Master Gardener
- Marine Programs
- Nutrition Education & Food Safety
- Ticks & Bugs
- Coastal Processes – Flood & Erosion
- Contact Us