4-H Youth Development
Health Living - Leadership Skills - Enrichment Programs
What Do 4-H Members Learn?
There are three areas of educational focus in the Barnstable County 4-H program
1. Science, Engineering and Technology
- Special 4-H science camps are held on the UMass Amherst campus in animal science, veterinary science, rocketry, robotics and other science areas.
- Barnstable County 4-H members compete in regional competitions including 4-H Horse Roundup.
2. Communication Skills
- More than 25% of 4-H club members give public speeches at local, county and state events.
- Members document their project work, leadership development and other activites in annual written reports.
3. Leadership, Community Service and Citizenship
- 4-H clubs collected over 2,675 pounds of food and donated to several Cape Cod Food Pantries.
- 4-H members have the opportunity to develop and practice leadership and citizenship skills by serving as club officers and junior leaders.
- 4-H club members learn how to work with others, delegate responsibility and manage projects.
The Barnstable County 4-H and Youth Development Program is dedicated to providing a positive, hands on learning experience which builds character, develops life skills and enables youth to become self directing, productive members of society.
4-H is a place where all youth are welcome and can succeed.
To Barnstable County 4-H volunteers past and present:
Your passion and tireless commitment is a gift to the youth of Barnstable County! Thank you for all you have done and continue to do.
Our youth are going great things and with your support they can continue to pursue their passions and develop life skills in leadership, public speaking, community involvement, and develop positive peer relationships while developing their confidence and belief in themselves.
If you are not currently a member of the Barnstable County 4-H family, please join us by contacting Sandi Shepherd-Gay via email or phone (508-375-6696).
Volunteers are needed to provide opportunity to all our youth!
Please spread the word – Come join the 4-H family!
The new 4-H year started on October 15th – hope to see you soon.
EXPLORE WHAT YOU CAN DO WITH 4-H
- Department Home
- 4-H Youth Development
- Hazardous Waste & Water Quality
- Agriculture, Horticulture & Master Gardener
- Marine Programs
- Nutrition Education & Food Safety
- Ticks & Bugs
- Coastal Processes – Flood & Erosion
- Contact Us