The Public Health Nursing Division and Tobacco Control Program encompass a diverse range of programs and services that support the community’s public health needs.
Programs and services of the Public Health Nursing Division include the following:
- Public Immunization Program
- Tick-borne Disease Prevention Program
- Sun Safety and Skin Cancer Awareness and Prevention Program
- Municipal Health Group Biometric Screening Program
- Ask a Public Health Nurse Program
- Public safety personnel services
- OSHA standard bloodborne pathogen/communicable disease training for public and private sector workers
- Subsidized housing preventative health screenings
- Disease surveillance
- Blood pressure clinics
During the COVID-19 pandemic, the Public Health Nursing Division was tasked with distribution of Covid-19 vaccines starting in January of 2021. There was a total of 120 clinics in the first 23 weeks of the year, averaging five clinics and 1,658 vaccines administered per week. Large drive-thru clinics were held in four locations, providing administration of 12,244 immunizations. In the spring of 2021, the clinics were moved indoors to the Cape Cod Community College gymnasium, allowing for the successful vaccination of 21,930 individuals. In addition, four large indoor clinics held at the Orleans Council on Aging, Yarmouth Public Safety, the County Complex, and the Cape Cod mall provided vaccinations for 2,042 people. School clinics yielded 1,914 immunizations.
The Cape Cod Regional Tobacco Control Program (CCRTCP) works with other local public health/prevention entities collaboratively to implement comprehensive substance abuse prevention strategies. The Program offers public education addressing the use of tobacco and other nicotine delivery products, including vaping devices. The CCRTCP also provides annual compliance checks of the County’s tobacco retailers.
- Department Home
Programs & Services
- Emergency Planning
- Environmental Health
- Public Health
- Water and Wastewater