Please be Advised! Be advised that as of November 25, 2023, Barnstable County SHINE has reached capacity and we are unable to schedule appointments. For Open Enrollment assistance please contact […]Read More
Please be advised that due to Medicare Open Enrollment, both call and email volume is exceedingly high. SHINE staff will respond to all inquiries in the order in which they are received. Response time may be up to 3 business days. Offices are closed on holidays and weekends.
If you have not yet contacted your local Council on Aging, please check there for appointment availability. SHINE Counseling at COA’s and the Regional Office is by appointment only. For MassHealth related matters, please call (800) 841-2900.
Are You New to Medicare?
Below you will find a video link and tip guide to get you started. Feel free to contact the Regional SHINE office with any questions, or to set up a telephonic appointment.
Our number is 508-375-6762.
Medicare & You: Flu Prevention
A one minute video about how annual flu vaccinations and Medicare is involved in the effort to limit the spread of the annual flu viruses. Watch video HERE.
Beware of Misleading Health Insurance Advertisements
SHINE is very aware of advertising that can often be misleading and result in a beneficiary making changes to their health plans that are not the most beneficial. The state SHINE office produced this video to bring awareness to this advertising.
CAPE COD COUNCILS ON AGING (COA)
|Barnstable Council on Aging||508-862-4750|
|Bourne Council on Aging||508-759-0600 x 3500|
|Brewster Council on Aging||508-896-2737|
|Chatham Council on Aging||508-945-5190|
|Dennis Council on Aging||508-385-5067|
|Eastham Council on Aging||774-801-3151|
|Falmouth Council on Aging||508-540-0196|
|Harwich Council on Aging||508-430-7550|
|Mashpee Council on Aging||508-539-1440|
|Nantucket Council on Aging||508-228-4490|
|Orleans Council on Aging||508-255-6333|
|Provincetown Council on Aging||508-487-7080|
|Sandwich Council on Aging||508-888-4737|
|Truro Council on Aging||508-487-2462|
|Wellfleet Council on Aging||508-349-2800|
|Yarmouth Council on Aging||508-394-7606|
The Barnstable County Department of Human Services administers the regional office for the Cape and Islands SHINE Program (Serving the Health Insurance Needs of Everyone).
- Serving the Health Insurance Needs of Everyone (SHINE) provides free health insurance information, counseling, and assistance to Massachusetts residents with Medicare and their caregivers.
- SHINE is administered by the Massachusetts Executive Office of Elder Affairs in partnership with elder service agencies, Councils on Aging, and other public and private community-based organizations.
- SHINE is a State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) and is partially funded by the Federal Administration for Community Living. The Cape and Islands Regional SHINE program is also funded by Barnstable County.
A SHINE Volunteer Counselor is trained and certified by the Massachusetts Executive Office of Elder Affairs in the various options available to Medicare beneficiaries—including Medicare Parts A & B, Medicare Advantage (Part C), Medicare prescription drug coverage (Part D), Medigap, Prescription Advantage , MassHealth, and other programs that help people with limited resources pay for health care costs.
- SHINE Counselors help Medicare beneficiaries and their caregivers navigate the complex health insurance system.
- A SHINE Counselor can explain Medicare options and how Medicare works in everyday language.
- A SHINE Counselor can help you compare the costs and benefits of Medicare and other health insurance options and help you enroll in a health insurance program that best fits your needs.
- A SHINE Counselor can help people with limited resources enroll in programs that help pay health insurance costs.
SHINE appointments are free, confidential and available throughout the state at local Councils on Aging, senior centers, elder service agencies, hospitals and other community-based agencies.
Contact the Barnstable County Regional SHINE office:
Contact the Massachusetts SHINE office:
1-800-AGE-INFO (1-800-243-4636) and option 3
Contact your local site:
SHINE Cape & Islands Brochure
A direct link to agendas for public meetings will be posted in the calendar event at least 48 hours before the meeting, not including Saturdays, Sundays, and legal holidays. G.L. c. 30A, § 20(b).
Common Questions for a SHINE Counselor
- What does Medicare pay for?
- When should I enroll?
- How do I avoid a late enrollment penalty?
- Which parts of Medicare do I need?
- What is “Medigap” insurance?
- What is a Medicare HMO or Medicare Advantage plan?
- Is Medicare Advantage right for me?
- Which Part D plan will cover my drugs?
- Can I get help paying my Medicare costs?
- Do I qualify for MassHealth/Medicaid?
- Why did I receive a bill after seeing my doctor?
- How do I appeal a Medicare denial?
- Why wasn’t my drug paid for when I went to the pharmacy?
- Will Medicare pay for my nursing home stay?
Publications and Data
Barnstable County Department of Human Services provides critical documents, resources, and related links relating to substance use.
Serving the Health Insurance Needs of Everyone (SHINE) provides free health insurance information, counseling, and assistance to Massachusetts residents with Medicare and their caregivers.
Related Local Publications and Data
The Official Site for Medicare Medicare is the federal health insurance program for people who are 65 or older, certain younger people with disabilities, and people with End-Stage Renal Disease (permanent kidney failure requiring dialysis or a transplant, sometimes called ESRD).
United States Social Security Office Social Security is based on a simple concept: While you work, you pay taxes into the Social Security system, and when you retire or become disabled, you, your spouse and your dependent children receive monthly benefits that are based on your reported earnings. Also, your survivors can collect benefits if you die. For more information read A Snapshot (05-10006).
Click below to view the Cape and Islands Regional SHINE Program, July 2021 fact sheet.
SHINE Program Manager Kristina Whiton O’Brien Discusses Medicare Open Enrollment in Falmouth Community Television Interview
Open Enrollment for Medicare takes place October 15th through December 7th! Meeting with a certified SHINE volunteer during open enrollment may reduce your out-of-pocket medical and/or prescription drug costs. Additionally, […]Read More
September 18, 2023 (Barnstable, MA) – Open Enrollment for Medicare is available from October 15th to December 7th, and during this period, state-certified SHINE counselors are at your service by appointment at your local […]Read More
Open enrollment is Oct. 15 – Dec. 7, and state-certified SHINE counselors are available at your local senior center by appointment to help you understand health care coverage, review cost increases, and find […]Read More
Open enrollment is Oct. 15 – Dec. 7, and state-certified SHINE counselors are available at your local senior center by appointment to help you understand health care coverage, review cost increases, […]Read More
Starting Monday, August 14th, Duffy Health Center’s REACH Mobile Health Unit will begin visiting communities throughout the region. REACH stands for Respectful, Equitable Access to Compassionate Healthcare. Services include: Duffy […]Read More
- Department Home
- Our Mission
- Aging Well & Healthy Living
- Behavioral Health
- Housing & Homelessness
- Substance Use & Prevention