Recognizing that the Barnstable County Complex and its grounds are supported by the community, the Barnstable County Commissioners offer the use of certain facilities by and for the benefit of residents, but not to interfere with any operation of Barnstable County.
BARNSTABLE COUNTY COMPLEX GROUNDS, MEETING ROOMS, AND BUILDING USE POLICY
STATEMENT OF POLICY
Recognizing that the Barnstable County Complex and its grounds are supported by the community, the Barnstable County Commissioners offer the use of certain facilities by and for the benefit of residents, but not to interfere with any operation of Barnstable County. It shall be the policy of this County to ensure that conference rooms and grounds are available for Board, Commission, Committee, staff, and departmental use first, but when such conference rooms and grounds are not in use, the spaces may be used for non-profit, civic, public interest, and like activities. The use of such facilities shall not be permitted for any commercial activities, transactions, or enterprises, or for private or non-profit fundraising. Offices, courthouses, and other administrative areas are not intended for use under this policy, unless special permission is granted by the Barnstable County Commissioners.
The following policies and procedures have been established to serve as guidelines in the application for and use of the Complex facilities, buildings, outside space, and meeting rooms at 3195 Main Street in Barnstable, Massachusetts. The County Commissioners will consider all qualified users without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender or gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or other status covered by applicable state or federal laws or regulations.
All Barnstable County and Cape Cod Commission committees and boards, departments, and staff shall be given priority in scheduling. County applicants can reserve conference rooms on a first request basis based upon availability. All Barnstable County and Cape Cod Commission committees and boards, departments, and staff who wish to request the use of grounds or pavilion must submit a Request.
Non-County applicants shall give sufficient lead-time, but no less than 14 days for use of the County grounds, and seventy-two (72) hours for use of a meeting room, to analyze the needs and make all necessary arrangements for the use of the complex grounds, buildings, facilities, or conference rooms. The application shall specify the facilities requested, the date(s) and times needed, and the name, telephone number, and the address of at least one (1) person of the organization or group who shall be personally responsible for all charges arising out of the intended use of such facility. Applications for Use of Barnstable County Complex Grounds, Meeting Rooms, And Buildings shall be submitted via our online form at https://barnstablecounty.formstack.com/forms/grounds_use_request, emailed to the Barnstable County Facilities Department: email@example.com or via mail to: Barnstable County Facilities Department, ATTN: Grounds Use Request, PO Box 472 Barnstable, MA 02630.
County Users: Barnstable County meetings and activities include but are not limited to meetings of County committees, commissions, boards, or events sponsored by a County department, committee, or commission and are under the control of that body. As indicated above, County users shall be given priority in scheduling.
Non-County Users: Non-County users may be allowed use of the facility when space is available, with the express understanding that if a County user requires the use of a facility, the non-County users may be bumped from using the facility. The County specifically excludes the following types of uses of its meeting rooms:
- Programs involving the sale, advertising, or promotion of products or services
- Business firms and other for-profit organizations soliciting or selling products or services
- Private social functions, such as weddings, showers, birthday parties, dances, and the like
- Political campaigns and/or fundraising, although political forums are permitted
- Programs not in keeping with the County’s goals and objectives, or which would interfere with the operation of the County by causing excessive noise, a safety hazard, security risk, etc. Whether or not a program is in keeping with the County’s goals shall lie expressly within the discretion of the Barnstable County Commissioners.
GENERAL RULES AND REGULATIONS
Conditions of Use:
- The applicant(s) must provide sufficient supervision so that the event will remain orderly and to prevent damage to the facility. The applicant(s) shall serve as contact person and must be always present during the use of the facilities.
- The applicant(s) assume full responsibility for the supervision and control of all attendees and participants.
- No admission or other fee may be charged by the applicant(s) for any program conducted in the County buildings, facilities, and complex grounds.
- The occupancy and/or capacity limitations for any particular building, facility, or room shall comply with the Fire Code and any other applicable law or ordinance.
- The use of any room, complex grounds, facilities, or building is subject to all ordinances, policies, and laws being complied with, specifically, but not limited to the prohibition of tobacco use and/or possession of alcohol, marijuana, or illegal drugs.
- The use of tents is prohibited.
- Decorations and other items may not be attached to walls or fixtures.
- Prior to departure, the room, building, or facility will be put into the same condition and configuration as when the applicant(s) took possession of the room, building, or facility;
- Upon departure, all lights shall be turned off and the room shall be locked.
- The County is not responsible for any equipment or other property left at the facility, complex, grounds, buildings, or conference rooms at any time. Property left for longer than thirty (30) days from the date of the event will be deemed abandoned and disposed of in a manner deemed appropriate by the County.
The County may place additional restrictions and/or requirements for the use of the facility, complex grounds, or conference rooms. The applicant(s) may be required to pay for these associated costs.
Cleaning and/or Damage to County Property:
The applicant(s) shall be responsible for:
- Reasonable and necessary expenses incurred by the County for the purpose of cleaning the building, room, complex, grounds, or facility beyond customary cleaning done by the County;
- For the cost of replacement or repair of damaged property.
- A certificate of insurance coverage must be submitted with the application, naming Barnstable County as an Additional Insured Party.
- The applicant(s) agrees to hold harmless and to indemnify the County from any and all claims, losses, damages, actions, causes of action, and/or liabilities of any kind or nature whatsoever, which are directly or indirectly related to the use of the County’s facilities, buildings, complex grounds, and meeting rooms by the undersigned and/or any guests, friends, or invitees which result in injury or loss of property to any person using the facilities, buildings, complex grounds, and meeting rooms of the County.
- The applicant(s) will be responsible for the repair or replacement of any damages.
- The applicant(s) agrees to comply with the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and to provide accommodations to access the meeting or program and to comply with any other applicable state, federal, or local laws or ordinances.
Failure to meet the above requirements, along with any additional restrictions and/or requirements that may be imposed by the County, may result in the denial of future use for the individual or group.